National Drug Take Back Day | Events
On Saturday, April 27th, police departments across the region will be hosting drug collections as part of the Drug Enforcement Administration's fifth National Drug Take Back Day.
The DEA has collected over 1,000 tons of unused and expired prescription drugs over the last three years. The take back day was started to get the public more involved in the prevention of prescription drug abuse.
Unused prescription drugs in homes are considered a public health and safety concern by the DEA. According to the DEA this is because the drugs are “highly susceptible to accidental ingestion, diversion, misuse and abuse”.
A survey done by the DEA found that the majority of abuses get their prescription drugs through friends and family. Often times it's as simple as raiding the medicine cabinet. Americans currently abuse more prescription drugs than those using cocaine, hallucinogens and heroin combined.
Collection sites will be taking all prescription drugs including pet prescriptions. Old over the counter drugs, vitamins, medical ointments, inhalers, pre-dosed syringes and liquids up to 12oz. will also be accepted.
It is stressed that the collection sites cannot take needles of any kind. They also cannot take thermometers, aerosol cans, hydrogen peroxide, empty containers, anything with blood or infectious waste, or personal care products.
Some locations are hosting other events simultaneously. The Spokane Valley Police Department and Spokane County Sheriff's Office will also offer document shredding for up to three boxes or 150 pounds. In Post Falls, you can also drop off your old electronics to be recycled.
National Drug Take Back Day is Saturday, April 27th from 10:00am-2:00pm
Eastern Washington Collection Sites:
- Pullman Police Department @ Pullman Police Department, 260 SE Kamiaken St.
- Spokane County Sheriff's Office with Spokane Valley Police Department @ Spokane Valley Police Department, 12710 E. Sprague, Spokane Valley and North Spokane Library, 44 E. Hawthorne, Spokane
- Fairchild Airforce Base @ Base Exchange, Spatz Rd Bldg. 2465
North Idaho Collection Sites:
- Bonners Ferry Police Department @ Super 1 Foods, 6452 Main St.
- Couer d'Alene Police Department @ Couer d'Alene Public Library, 702 East Front Ave.
- Latah County Sheriff's Office @ Genesse Food Center, 216 W. Chestnut St, Genesse
- Lewiston Police Department @ Lewiston Police Department, 1224 F. St.
- Clearwater County Sheriff's Office @ Cannon Park, 106 Michigan Ave, Orofino
- Post Falls Police Department @ Post Falls City Hall, 408 N. Spokane St.
- Kellogg Police Department @ Kellogg Police Department, 1007 McKinley Ave.
Upcoming Events near Downtown Spokane
Dec 15, 12:30PM