Warmer weather brings road closures to Spokane | News
The weather is warming up and that means more people are out and about, and road construction is getting underway. Here’s a list of things to be aware of the next couple of weeks as you plan your commute around Spokane.
CITY CREWS ARE SWEEPING ARTERIALS, CLEANING SIDEWALKS AND TRAFFIC/PEDESTRIAN ISLANDS - Crews are sweeping arterials, sidewalks and starting to grade dirt roads. Pothole and utility cut repair continues.
SIDEWALK AND LANE CLOSURE SPOKANE FALLS BOULEVARD, FRIDAY, APRIL 4 Spokane Falls Boulevard will have a right lane closure from Wall Street to approximately Monroe Street for Avista work at Huntington Park. The sidewalk from Post Street to approximately just past the Avista access road off of Spokane Falls Boulevard just past the west end of City Hall will be closed to accommodate work at Huntington Park
BLOOMSDAY WILL BE HOSTING CLINICS NEAR SFCC SATURDAY, APRIL 5 AND SATURDAY APRIL 12 - This clinic is to provide training and education for running Bloomsday. There are no road closures or obstructions. Drivers are asked to please be cautious as runners are in the area.
GIRL SCOUT FUN RUN NEAR JOE ALBI STADIUM SATURDAY, APRIL 5 - The Girl Scouts are hosting their annual fun run. The event will run around Joe Albi Stadium and through the neighborhood behind River Ridge Plaza. There are no road closures or obstructions. Drivers are asked to please be cautious as runners are in the area.
CLEANING FROM THE CORE APRIL 12 - Cleaning from the Core is Saturday, April 12. Over 400 volunteers will be in the downtown area painting, planting, and various other activities to clean up and freshen the downtown from the long winter. Wall Street will be closed for an after party for all volunteer participants.
- Westbound outside lane on W Spokane Falls Blvd just West of Post Street will be closed on Friday, April 4.
- Northbound outside lane on North Monroe Street from West Broadway Avenue to West Mallon Avenue will be closed on Monday, April 7 through Wednesday, April 9. Eastbound outside lane on West Boone Street from North Ash to North Cedar will be closed also.
- Westbound outside lane on East Euclid Street at Freya Avenue will be closed on Friday, April 4.
- Regal Street between Garland Avenue and Rockwell Avenue will be closed to thru traffic from Friday, April 4 through Monday, April 7.
- Flagging of both directions of traffic will occur on 5555 South Cedar Road from Monday, April 7, through Monday April 14. The one lane, two way traffic control is for onsite work installing electric services.
- East 31st Avenue between Division Street and Tekoa Street will be closed on Wednesday, April 2 through Wednesday, April 9th.
- Flagging of both directions of traffic will occur on Post Street between 1st and 2nd Avenue on Wednesday, April 9.
- WORK ON FRANCIS AVENUE FROM DIVISION TO CRESTLINE BEGINS APRIL 8
- Regal Street and the Palouse Hwy Intersection will have traffic disruptions starting next week,
- Work on Helena from Rowan south to Crown Avenue, near Whitman Elementary, will begin late in the afternoon after school is out on Friday, April 4 and will include the closure of the intersection at Rowan and Helena. Work will continue through the April 11.
- Work in the residential area on one block of Crestline Street north of Upriver Drive to North Crescent will begin Thursday, April 3 with the street being closed beginning Friday, April 4 to accommodate the scheduled work.
- Work at the intersection of Illinois and Crestline will impact traffic beginning Thursday, April 3 through Sunday, April 6. The intersection will be closed Saturday, April 5 with a detour set up north off Illinois Avenue onto Lee, Buckeye and Napa streets. The intersection will reopen Sunday, April 6.
- A signal removal and replacement will occur at the Francis/Freya intersection with construction continuing for approximately one month. Flagging at the intersection will occur between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. The dedicated right turn lane will be closed for southbound traffic on Freya Street in order to construct the new roadway at the northwest corner. All traffic movements will still be allowed. The right turn onto westbound Francis Avenue will be routed from the through lane. Additional traffic congestion is anticipated. This traffic configuration will remain in place for approximately 1 month or until HMA paving is completed at this location. Traffic is encouraged to find alternate routes. PCMS boards are running to alert motorists of this upcoming work.
- Construct of a new 42 inch diameter water main begins on Chandler from 8th to 7th Avenue, on 8th from Chandler to Cowley, and on Cowley from 7th to 8th Avenue. Cowley will be closed beginning Wednesday, March 26 – April 11. Weather conditions may cause delays.
- THIRD AVENUE IS OPEN. ARTHUR WILL COMPLETE IN 2014
- Construction continues on a private developer’s onsite Convention Center Hotel Project within the entire block between Washington St and Bernard St and Main Ave and Spokane Falls Blvd.
- Main Avenue has eastbound lane and parking lane closure starting at Washington Street and continuing to Bernard Street
- Bernard Street is closed to southbound traffic from Spokane Falls Boulevard to Main Avenue
- Spokane Falls Boulevard has two westbound lanes and a parking lane closure starting east of Bernard Street and continuing to Washington Street.
- Occasionally, southbound Ray Street may be reduced to one lane. When lane restrictions are required, they will take place from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Liberty Street construction is complete for the season, Liberty is closed with local access only.
- A grind and overlay will begin on North Cedar road April 14. There will be flagging and road closures as needed.
- Arterial crack sealing is beginning on Ash from Boone to Northwest Boulevard.
- Strong Road will be closed beginning Tuesday, April 8 through Wednesday, April 9, 6:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. for grading.
- Street crews are repairing potholes. Crews focus on the largest holes on the busiest streets first. Please report potholes online at http://myspokane.spokanecity.org/mobile or by calling 625-7733. Include as much information as possible on the location and size of the pothole.