City selects 21 traffic calming projects for neighborhoods | News
City officials have selected the next round of traffic calming projects likely to be constructed in the next year or so.
The city narrowed down the list to 21 projects out of 74 submitted applications from neighborhoods. Project costs range from $3,500 to about $40,000 in cost that will be covered from “photo red” revenue.
The projects include improvements for pedestrian and bicyclist safety and can install traffic circles, street striping, bike lanes, sharrows, etc. These types of projects were the expected result of revenue collected from the “photo red” program launched in 2008 at about ten intersections throughout the city.
The city released a list of the selected projects organized by council district. Not sure what your neighborhood is? Look it up at the city’s GIS website.
- Chief Garry Park: Installation of a crosswalk at Regal St. and Mission Ave.; and Cook St. and Mission Ave. crossing to Chief Garry Park.
- East Central: Implementation of University District/Sprague Corridor Study traffic calming elements on E. Sprague Ave.
- Bemiss: Permanent speed sign on Cook St. near Shaw Middle School and Northeast Community Center.
- Nevada-Lidgerwood: Install a traffic circle at Lyons Ave. and Cincinnati St.
- Logan Neighborhood: Conduct traffic study on E. Sinto Ave. in conjunction with Gonzaga University.
- Other: Purchase of two small mobile speed feedback signs that will be placed in various areas throughout District 1.
- East Central: Permanent speed feedback sign on Perry St. near its intersection with 12th Ave.
- Cliff/Cannon: Curb bump-outs on Maple St. at Eighth and Ninth avenues.
- Manito/Cannon Hill: Crosswalk striping and signage at 25th Ave. and Bernard St.
- Rockwood: Install solar pedestrian beacons at 18th Ave. and Grand Blvd.
- Comstock: Install sidewalks from 210 to 226 W. 37th Ave.
- Lincoln Heights: Install sidewalks on both sides of Freya St. from 36th to 37th avenues.
- Joint Manito/Cannon Hill and Comstock: Install pedestrian crossing at Manito Blvd. and 29th Ave., type to be determined from neighborhood input.
- Five Mile: Connect separated sidewalks on Horizon Ave. from west of F St. to E St. Install crosswalk and signage at Cascade Way/Lincoln Rd. and Five Mile Rd.
- Emerson Garfield: Traffic circles on Montgomery Ave. at Cedar, Jefferson, and Madison streets; and two bump-outs on Montgomery Ave. with its intersection with Adams St. Additionally, sidewalks will be installed on Adams St. from Mansfield to Montgomery avenues.
- North Hill: Install crosswalk at Garland Ave. and Normandie St.
- West Central: Install crosswalk with flashing beacon at Elm St. and Maxwell Ave.
Upcoming Events near Downtown Spokane
Dec 15, 12:30PM